Pre-Blog 11/30

The reading by Cixous reminded me a lot about social constructions. As I was going through the reading, it made me think a lot about the history of the construction between males and females and masculinity and femininity. How if one is a male that they would have to conform to these sort of masculine characteristics to identify fully as a male as well as the same goes for the female and femininity. As times are changing as well as identification, for me personally things seem to become more confusing. I think maybe it is just because of my mindset is already with likings towards answers that are clear and concise and no gray area. I am aware of the different characteristics masculinity and femininity have but tend not to overthink it. Anyways I would say that everyone has some sort of balance between the two but always lean more towards one side. I would say as an individual that I was leaning more towards the masculine characteristics because of my culture and how my parents raised me. Ever since I started going to Rollins College I’ve noticed a lot more femininity and how it got me to stay in touch with my feminine side being that there are so many more female on campus than males. Frankly I don’t know why this reading made me specifically think about the balance between masculinity and femininity in my own personal life. Maybe it’s because of the balance I have between going to the Marine Corps and then coming back to Rollins College. Being in the Marine Corps I have to deal with a very hyper masculine environment where as Rollins college is essentially the bipolar opposite.  

Comments

  1. I think your blog post made some really good points about the gender binary and how in different environments and cultures we are pressured to perform our gender identity in certain ways. I found your point about how Rollins made you more aware and open about your feminine side due to the large female population interesting. I think I dress and act in a more feminine way but once I took a communications class I became more aware of the more masculine communication styles I have. Now I think I’m more of a mix between feminine and masculine characteristics and that I will shift depending on the environment and context. For instance, with the exception of certain people and contexts, I’m more of a direct communicator. I also engage in physical touch and affection less than other females since I prefer others to initiate physical contact so that I don’t make anyone uncomfortable. In certain contexts, I think I adapt a more masculine communication style because I feel I’ll be respected more and taken more seriously.

    Cixous’s reading also made me think about trans identity and how gender expression is very complicated and difficult for them due to the socially constructed gender binary. One of my friends that is trans said that since they identify as male, they feel pressured and judged if they don’t act and dress masculine all the time or else their gender identity won’t be viewed as valid to others. For instance, if they wear something pink, people will question them about it say that they thought he identifies as male, but he doesn’t view color as something that should have to be gendered. People should be able to wear whatever color they want regardless of gender identity but because they are trans they are held to this higher standard of proving they are masculine both within and outside the LGBT community. As a cis-gendered person that dresses in a very feminine way, I don’t have to deal with this kind of conflict.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment