Pre-Blog Post



There is the political problem that feminism encounters in the assumption that the term women denotes a common identity” (193). This quote refers to how women are assumed to have all things in common regarding oppression. This however is false because typically with feminist movements, it is facing the issues of the privileged white females and their issues that they face. The assumption that all women are the same is false because black women identify with two minority categories so their experiences, and their oppressions, are different than the white females. This then goes into how the minority voices are still being unheard. Although, I do think the feminist movement going on is great and heading in the right direction, there needs to be more of a represention of intersectionality of oppression with the feminist movement. 
Overall, Butler's piece on history and the representation of women in it really intrigued me. Women have been written out of history, and because we didn’t have a voice men had to power to write our history. The story is male because women were not supported and women history is lost or biased. As I said in class, I never truly thought about textbooks and the lack of represention of minority groups in it. I feel that at a young age, I never questioned historical infromation given to me, in which now I understand that there is always two sides to a story, and a story that is untold. I think it's interesting how in textbooks you typically have your token minority talking about their success, but also either being sexualized, having a struggle in some way, etc. In textbooks, a lot of history is being written by a man which can include personal bias and false information about the story. Now I am thankful that women have the power and authority to speak their story and be listened to. 

Comments